Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Guest Room: Copper and Pastels

A few months ago I set out to furnish our main guest bedroom which has been a bit of a slow process. We live several hours away from my family so I wanted to special place for guests to relax and enjoy when they come to visit. We still have several empty bedrooms as it is only the two of us in the house. The design for this room began with a geometric pastel coloured print I picked up from The Minimalist. I love pastels, and pink especially but I didn't want our guest room to be too girly. To remedy this I decided to use pastel pink as a main colour in combination with grey, black and metallic features to give a more industrial look.

After many hours of internet surfing in search of the 'perfect' lamp, I came across a fantastic concrete and copper lamp by the guys at Rustic By Design (check their pages out on instagram or Facebook!). They very kindly mailed it interstate so that it could become the wonderful feature that it is in my guest room. After the lamp came the linen which is from the Aura range by Tracie Ellis and the side table from Adairs. I found some great art pieces by the amazingly talented Jai Vasicek from the Ahoy Trader store in Byron Bay and have clustered them together on the empty space between the windows. The print behind the bed is by Blacklist and it struck me as the sentiment is really lovely. 

The last piece of the puzzle was the stunning Eden bed which I had to have from the moment I set eyes on it! It took many emails and some detective work to track one down, as these beds have been sold out and on back order for months. It is probably a bit extravagant for the guest room but I just loved it. I've also popped a chair into the corner which was looking a bit empty and will be handy for bags or sitting to put shoes on. 

I hope you enjoy the photos of this room, I have certainly enjoyed designing it!






7 comments:

  1. Looks lovely,,,u really put alot of thought into ur rooms,,,,,how is ur land scaping going,,have u touched the back yard yet,,,,its such a daunting thought,,especially when u have no clue, ,what way to go,,and face it, if u get it wrong, its along time looking at it lol,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      Thank you! I saw your pool photos and it looks so amazing! I'm super jealous. Our landscaping is kind of slow, we have done the front and are going to do the side gardens in the next few weeks. So far the backyard is empty, mostly because we still can't decide if we want a pool and are intending on booking an overseas holiday! We figured the house isn't going anywhere and we need to save more money, so we will wait a bit longer.

      Delete
  2. Would you happen to have any pictures of your family room furnished. I'm interested to see how you positioned your couch(s), whether you kept the entrance to the room open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steven,
      I'm sorry I haven't quite gotten to the family room yet. It's in a half finished state with wiring for a feature light hanging out of the roof, tv brackets but no tv and still lacking art haha.

      If you look at my floor plan I have arranged the lounges the same way as pictured except I have two arm chairs closest to the window on
      the rear wall. I added a fireplace so there is a rug and coffee table centred between the lounges. I felt that putting the lounge with it's back to the dining room closed off the area too much and didn't feel as inviting.

      I promise pictures are on their way soon!

      Delete
  3. Love the Aura quilt covers and cushions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renai! I have a suspicion that Aura have them on sale at the moment too!

      Delete