Saturday, August 16, 2014

Parrots, Pineapples and Palm Leaves: The Master Bedroom

Since I was a little girl I have loved parrots. At the age of 4 my best friend was a sulfur-crested cockatoo named 'Chook' and through the years a number of other feathered characters joined the mix. I was given a turqouise parrot figure for Christmas last year and that was the starting piece for the decor of our master bedroom.

If you have been reading the blog for a while I'm sure you also know that Hawaii is my happy place, so I wanted to bring these themes into our master bedroom. The brief for this room was something relaxing, contemporary and gender neutral. I have also been pleased to be able to source a lot of my decor items from some very talented Australian artists and craftsmen. 

I feel that there could be more to add to this room yet, but I am waiting until we finish the decking outside to get a final impression of the space. The blinds are closed in this picture as there is nothing but dirt, rain and a gloomy evening to see out there yet! 

The entry to our master runs from a short corridor off the dining room. This piece of art by Heisuke Kitazawa works well to transition from the yellow kitchen/dining area to the subtle greens of our bedroom. 

This is the first king sized bed I have owned and it is glorious. You can read the details on our furniture and ceiling fan here. Our pendant lights from Beacon were also a wonderful option that we accessed through our builder. 


Lately I have been going crazy for the wonderful creations of Jai Vasicek from Ahoy Trader. I was fortunate to track down one of his neon pineapple tiles before they sold out. 


This stunning limited edition print from the duo at Blacklist is another favourite. I picked it up from The Minimalist a couple of months ago.


Last up is our ensuite, which has just had some small accessories added around the bath and on the vanity. I am intending to put a glass shelf above the bath but am still a bit uncertain on how to attach it with steel frames... 


6 comments:

  1. Love your scandi furniture (which didn't really get a mention!) also love your grey tiles, were they an upgrade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do admit that I failed to plug Domayne for the furniture because it cost a fortune and came all damaged :( The tiles were a standard inclusion with MDJ, much to my pleasure!

      Delete
  2. Lovely. I love pendants on either side bed but I have gorgeous huge lamps. Maybe in future when/if I'm over them I'll change hehe
    Great tiles in ensuite too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You guys really did an amazing job in decorating the master bedroom. I love the artwork by the entry way and the pillow prints are just rad. My favorite piece would have to be those cool pendants. The bathroom looks classy as well. Everything just really matches with equal beauty. Thanks for the tour! Wishing you guys all the best!

    Helene Raymond @ Trade Squad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Helene for your kind comments! I've loved our artwork from the moment I saw it and had it bubble wrapped and ready to go before we had even signed our house contracts!

      Delete
  4. Your house looks amazing and we can use few ideas for our new home :)

    ReplyDelete