Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Plastering Commences

With a streak of good luck, our internal work continues while the rain comes down outside. Our gyprock installation was finished yesterday and the plastering has now commenced. The plasterers did a lot today and we are seeing some lovely straight edges appearing on the doorways and picture recesses. 

Watching gyprocking has been quite an interesting process. I have been surprised by the way gyprock is cut and installed, in that it really is a very rough process. I was worried yesterday looking at so many jagged edges and holes broken into the gyprock but I feel a little better seeing some plaster covering this today. There's no way I could do that job - I am obsessed with straight lines and symmetry. 

There are a couple of little things nagging at me, such as the way services are run through the gyprock by essentially tearing a big jagged hole. I'm sure as the week progresses some of these practices will begin to make sense. 

We have a running joke in our house that I would make the site supervisor from hell because I'm just so fussy. I'm also being teased by my family because this fussiness extends to the trades smoking while they work in our house. I'm being compared to Jennifer Connelly in He's Just Not That Into You when she interrogates her carpenter (chick flick for the guys reading). I'm sure the fresh paint smell will eventually cover the stale cigarette odour :)

Media room TV recess
       

Looking across the kitchen/dining to the fridge recess and pantry.
       

Yet another shot of my beloved fireplace 
                     

Looking across the kitchen to the media room and laundry
     

Finally here is the a close up of the jagged hole that is bugging me. Did anyone else have this happen?
                    

8 comments:

  1. hey Mel, dont worry too much about the gyprock - we had some huge chunks missing but someone has worked a miracle and it is smooth as a baby's bottom hehe and please you are not being fussy, you are being suitably observant about the quality of your future home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a relief, I've been watching the two young plasterers we have a bit nervously. Our friends who built with MDJ 2 years ago have had fair trading involved because of the plastering. Here's hoping they've changed companies since :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking lovely!! We had the same thing and also when they open up the electrical points through the gyprock, holes everywhere! But it all ends up smooth at some point...the smoking got to me a lot too! Hubby's a joiner/cabinetmaker and very detailed in everything...at our PCI we were told we were being too fussy (mostly with small paint defects) and they won't go into that much detail to fix up things as it's not the 'australian standard' which sucks :(

    Awesome blog btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Steph! Everything is looking much better after a few more days of plastering. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been for your husband if the work wasn't up to his own standards :( I hope your home ended up looking beautiful nonetheless.

      Delete
  4. Hey Mel,
    it's coming along in leaps and bounds woohoo. I wouldn't worry too much about the holes, I was beside myself when we looked at ours at that stage and if you think your being obsessive....I don't know how I got through some days lol. It's amazing how well they cover them up and there's probably a reason for them to be that way so don't fret too much.
    Not long now hey! Looks like an easter egg hunt will be at yours after all yippee.
    Good luck with the rest of the build, I'm looking fwd to seeing it painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, that makes me feel better! It doesn't feel like that long ago you were sending me photos of your gyprock being finished! I so hope for an Easter handover, that would be ideal timing :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Mel,

    its looking amazing, I wouldn't worry too much about the walls, they work their magic and it all gets patched up the paint hides a million sins... the smoking is a peeve of mine too but if you think that's bad wait until you go in and they have used your toilets... P's me right off when I see cigarette buts INSIDE the house, seriously is it that difficult to throw it outside (or go outside and smoke).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Betsy! Our house has been full of cigarette smell, especially bedrooms. I hate smoking :(
    Noooo not the toilet! That's horrible... Oh gosh, especially given that we have a toilet in a powder room with no window to open (lol!). Looking forward to seeing more photos of your interior fit out soon!

    ReplyDelete