Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Benchtops and Sinks Installed

The installation of our benches was one of those milestones I've been waiting for and today was the big day. We were so excited to see them go in and the majority look really fantastic! Our island bench looks much larger with 40mm caesarstone on top - bench space is never going to be an issue for us again! 

True to the typical form of our build, there was a mistake in that the main bathroom had white shimmer installed rather than linen caesarstone. We spent a long time looking at it, deciding if we could live with it. I'm still undecided but leaning towards a 'no'. You can see the difference in colour between the laundry and main bathroom - I would love to hear comments if those reading have any thoughts on whether we should just run with the white. 

The ensuite is the star and will look more finished once the tiling is complete. Our poor painter painted that whole wall behind the vanity and we didn't have the heart to say it will be covered. Our tilers are still missing in action and it's really becoming a hold up. I don't know how they can just abandon a job like that. In other tiling news, I have come to the startling realization that I hate the light grey grout between the mushroom tiles. Really a bad choice by the colour studio and I'm kicking myself for missing it. I've decided that after handover I'm going to use a grout stain and bring the grout to more of a travertine shade. I suppose that means I'll be spending many hours with a tiny paintbrush... 

It was a gloomy, dull afternoon so these photos aren't the best (I still had to share though).

     
     
     
     
                  
                  
    

2 comments:

  1. wooooo such great progress, looking amazing! i think the white benchtops look lovely HOWEVER if it's not what you picked and you're unsure, i think that's a telltale sign that you should get it changed. it'd be a different situation if you weren't sure of the colour but it was the one you had agreed upon. you dont want to have any regrets later knowing that you settled despite being given the option to swap.

    your kitchen island is so spacious!

    shame about the grout :( i feel like no one's grout has really turned out as expected? ours is much lighter (not that i mind) but it certainly wasnt what i was anticipating.

    what's next on the agenda?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right on the benchtop situation Merryn. I love the white in our ensuite and it feels really special there, but i think the main bathroom should match the laundry and kitchen colours. I told our SS and will leave it with him to follow up.

      Grout is a hard one to pick, the general rule seems to be that it lightens from the sample. I'm going to talk to the tiler about what projects he suggests to use for staining.

      Next up is stacked stone, ? Fireplace and electrical I believe. Can't wait for electrical so we can go play with the saturn switches!

      Delete